As seen on the Global BC morning show.
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium Belgian endives (about 1 ½ pounds), cut lengthwise and quartered
- Combine all ingredients except endives in a large frying pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add endives to the pan in a single layer and braise, turning occasionally, until the cores just give way when pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and cook, turning occasionally, until almost all the liquid has evaporated and the endives are golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes more.